Who we are...

Who we are...
photography by http://www.leannavite.com/
charmed by choice, the blog has been a long thoughtful walk through choices. Ultimately, choices to be resilient.
Our family is one of the thousands of real life examples from this recession ...
we have experienced jobloss, mounting debt, property depreciation....
After spending some time hovering in the freak out mode...we have decided there is a choice to be made.
We can choose to stare at all that's challenging us,
or search and concentrate on all the incredible examples of resiliency.
Come along and be amazed at how many people live resiliently...
recovering finacially, emotionally, physically, spiritually...
We've all been told not to stare... but I invite you to stare at all that's resilient.
Let's be inspired and inspire each other.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.


I just LOVE "Chicken Catcher". (see sidebar to right). I have watched the video a million times. It's like watching someone win the lottery or find buried treasure. For me I enjoy it most because he appears to be a simple hard working man who is amazed by the discovery of a talent he has possessed all along.

I'm a total sucker for the rags to riches stories!

So that's giving me a "fish", cheer me up right now.

But watching that clip alone, even a billion times won't change a thing in my world or anyone else's.

I enjoy it purely, because he seems so genuinely amazed. I find it inspiring, because it feeds hope,

not hope that I'm going to find out I'm an amazing singer, or I have some other hidden talent about to burst forth.

But hope that good things happen. So I watch that video and continue to seek other "pick me ups".

Following the posts list you will see "Hand Ups, not Hand Outs."

It is the heart of this blog and ultimately the "cause list" that will become the beneficiaries of our online gift boutique.

So often people use the word "charity" to refer to an organization that supports a "concern" in our world.

My goal is to avoid the use of the "charity" word, as I find it can sometimes be simply

throwing money at a problem and hoping it'll go away.

I'm looking for organizations that support movement from crisis, through survive into thrive. Bottom line ... programs that "teach men to fish",

programs that feed independence, rather than dependency.

As we sit today, there are 2 organizations I know we'll promote and support.

Remember social entrepreneurship is about knowing that patronage isn’t just to profit the business, but to profit a “greater good”.

The first is United Cancer Services which exists to help individuals and their families

through cancer treatment, from crisis to survive to thrive.

The second is Habitat for Humanity, existing to help families have safe housing, building not just from donations, but with "sweat equity".

Our adventure into social entrepreneurship also aims to first support programs that support rebuilding lives locally, helping our friends and neighbors,

 creating a stronger community for us to live in.

Branching out beyond our immediate community is a long term goal,

but for now, we'd like to focus on the closest ripples in the pond.

Check back for updated information and inspiration.

Share thoughts to help me grow the blog and our collective community of resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment